During the holidays…
As the holidays come upon us, it is important to remember to stay safe, and to model behavior for our children, teens, family members, and even our friends. The holidays are a time to kick back and enjoy time with our friends and families, and youth are watching to see how we have fun.
Did you know that 1 in 4 Somersworth High School students don’t think there is a moderate/great risk of binge drinking? Or that more than 3 out of 5 think it’s easy or very easy to obtain alcohol?
If alcohol will be around during the holidays, there are some things that you can do to help ensure you are setting a good example for Somersworth youth:
1. Keep alcohol away from minors
2. Monitor the consumption of your guests and yourself. Don’t allow anyone to become intoxicated.
3. If someone does become intoxicated, remain calm, ensure their safety, and escort them away from the gathering; don’t allow their intoxication to become a source of entertainment.
4. Reduce the amount of visible alcohol- don’t have a huge spread of bottles, or selection of beverages, keep most stored behind a lock and key. These images can be interpreted as meaning alcohol is important and central to the holidays.
5. As always, monitor number and levels of bottles, and lock up whenever possible, as well as anything else you can do to ensure alcohol doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
6. Model safe driving standards and behavior.
This message brought to you by the Somersworth Prevention Coalition
Like us on Facebook @SomersworthCoalition